[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Requirements for re-adding Gluster support

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 21:08:46 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:30:49PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2017-07-26 12:56:55 +0200 (+0200), Niels de Vos wrote:
> > [...]
> > > My current guess is that adding a 3rd party CI [3] for Gluster is
> > > the only missing piece?
> > [...]
> >
> > I thought GlusterFS was free/libre software. If so, won't the Cinder
> > team allow upstream testing in OpenStack's CI system for free
> > backends/drivers? Maintaining a third-party CI system for that seems
> > like overkill, but I'm unfamiliar with Cinder's particular driver
> > testing policies.
> > --
> > Jeremy Stanley
>
> You are correct Jeremy. It wasn't a CI issue that caused the removal.
> IIRC, Red Hat decided to focus on Ceph as the platform for Cinder
> storage.

Just confirming Sean's recollection, Eric Harney from Redhat was pretty
much the sole maintainer of the Gluster code in Cinder and the decision was
made that he would stop maintaining/supporting the Gluster driver in Cinder
(and I believe he actually put out some calls asking for any volunteers
that might want to pick it up).  I'll certainly let Eric speak to any
details if he wishes so I don't misrepresent.

The bottom line is there was only one person maintaining it, CI is
relatively easy with Gluster, there was even (IIRC) infra already in place
to deploy/test in the upstream gate.