[openstack-dev] [nova]notification update week 30

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Tue Jul 25 11:57:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus setting mail about notification work
for week 30. Better late than never.

Bugs
----
[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1684860 Versioned
server notifications don't include updated_at
The fix is on review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475276/ and seem
complete.
However the solution uncovered another bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1704928 updated_at field is set on
the instance only after it is scheduled. Matt wanted to see at least an
analysis about the root cause to rule out the connection with the
notification change. Analysis is available in the bug report, it seems
it is a db api problem and a dirty fix is proposed. So I think the
original notification fix can land now.

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1696152 nova notifications
use nova-api as binary name instead of nova-osapi_compute
Agreed not to change the binary name in the notifications. Instead we
make an enum for that name to show that the name is intentional.
Patch needs update based on the review feedback
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476538/

[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1702667 publisher_id
of the versioned instance.update notification is not consistent with
other notifications
The inconsistency of publisher_ids was revealed by #1696152. Patch
needs a second +2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/480984

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1699115 api.fault
notification is never emitted
Still no response on the ML thread about the way forward.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118639.html

[Undecide] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1700496 Notifications
are emitted per-cell instead of globally
Fix is to configure a global MQ endpoint for the notifications in cells
v2. Patch looks good from notification perspective and only need a
second +2 https://review.openstack.org/#/c/477556/

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
There are 16 patches that are waiting for core revew:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/versioned-notification-transformation-pike+label:Code-Review%253E%253D%252B1+label:Verified%253E%253D1+AND+NOT+label:Verified%253C0+AND+NOT+label:Code-Review%253C0
We will continue the work in Queens with the ones that miss the Feature
Freeze.

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
bp additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
All the must have pieces has been merged and the bp is marked as
implemented. Thank you for all who had been involved. Nice job!

There are follow up patches related to the bp that most probably need
to be moved to Queens:

* There are a set of patches for the BDM addition to optimize the
payload generation but these are not mandatory for the functionality
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483324/
* There was a late request from Searchlight to provide 'status' field
in the instance notifications as well. See the discussion on the ML
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-July/119891.html
There is WIP patch with the solution but we are running out of time
with that https://review.openstack.org/#/c/485525/

Instability of the notification sample tests
Last week we cleaned up couple of instabilities. But it seem one still
remained about test_create_delete_server test case
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1705818. Troubleshooting patch has
been merged https://review.openstack.org/#/c/486301/ . Signature has
been added to the bug report but no occurrence with detailed log
observerd yet.

Small improvements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/428199/ Improve assertJsonEqual
error reporting. I think it an improvement that is safe to be
considered after the FF as it is only a test improvement.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples
Factor out duplicated notification sample data
This is a start of a longer patch series to deduplicate notification
sample data. The third patch already shows how much sample data can be
deleted from nova tree. We added a minimal hand rolled json ref
implementation to notification sample test as the existing python json
ref implementations are not well maintained. This is also just test and
doc improvement so I hope it can continue after the FF.

Weekly meeting
The notification subteam holds it's weekly meeting on Tuesday 17:00 UTC
on openstack-meeting-4. The next meeting will be held on 25th of July.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170725T170000

Cheers,
gibi