[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] [ndb] ndb namespace throughout openstack projects

Michael Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 20:49:36 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Octave J. Orgeron
<octave.orgeron at oracle.com> wrote:
> For these, here is a brief synopsis:
>
> AutoStringTinyText, will convert a column to the TinyText type. This is used
> for cases where a 255 varchar string needs to be converted to a text blob to
> make the row fit within the NDB limits. If you are using ndb, it'll convert
> it to TinyText, otherwise it leaves it alone. The reason that TinyText type
> was chosen is because it'll hold the same 255 varchars and saves on space.
>
> AutoStringText, does the same as the above, but converts the type to Text
> and is meant for use cases where you need more than 255 varchar worth of
> space. Good examples of these uses are where outputs of hypervisor and OVS
> commands are dumped into the database.
>
> AutoStringSize, you pass two parameters, one being the non-NDB size and the
> second being the NDB size. The point here is where you need to reduce the
> size of the column to fit within the NDB limits, but you want to preserve
> the String varchar type because it might be used in a key, index, etc. I
> only use these in cases where the impacts are very low.. for example where a
> column is used for keeping track of status (up, down, active, inactive,
> etc.) that don't require 255 varchars.

Can the "auto" that is supplied by AutoStringTinyText and
AutoStringSize be merged?

oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(255)     -> VARCHAR(255) on most dbs,
TINYTEXT() on ndb
oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(255, ndb_size=64)     -> VARCHAR(255) on
most dbs, VARCHAR(64) on ndb
oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(50)     -> VARCHAR(50) on all dbs
oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(64)     -> VARCHAR(64) on all dbs
oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(80)     -> VARCHAR(64) on most dbs, TINYTEXT() on ndb
oslo_db.sqlalchemy.String(80, ndb_size=55)     -> VARCHAR(64) on most
dbs, VARCHAR(55) on ndb

don't worry about implementation, can the above declaration ->
datatype mapping work ?

Also where are we using AutoStringText(), it sounds like this is just
what SQLAlchemy calls the Text() datatype?   (e.g. an unlengthed
string type, comes out as CLOB etc).