[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 29

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Jul 24 10:05:33 UTC 2017

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 7/21/2017 6:54 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> ## Custom Resource Classes for Ironic
>>
>> A spec for custom resource classes is being updated to reflect the
>> need to update the flavor and allocations of a previously allocated
>> ironic node that how has a custom resource class (such as
>> CUSTOM_SILVER_IRON):
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/481748/
>>
>> The implementation of those changes has started at:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/484949/
>>
>> That gets the flavor adjustment. Do we also need to do allocation
>> cleanups or was that already done at some point in the past?
>
> That's done:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/484935/

It's good that that's done, but that's not quite what I meant. That
will override stuff from elsewhere in the flavor with what's in extra
specs to create a reasonable allocation record.

I meant the case where an existing ironic instance was updated on
the ironic side to be CUSTOM_IRON_GOLD (or whatever) and needs to
have it's previous allocations of VCPU: 2, DISK_GB: 1024, MEMORY_MB:
1024 to replace those with CUSTOM_IRON_GOLD: 1?

a) Is that even a thing?
b) Do we need to do it with some new code or is it halready
    happening by way of the periodic job?

I guess the code that Ed's working on at

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/484949

need to zero out VCPU etc in the extra specs so that the eventual
allocation record is created in 484935 is correct?

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/