[openstack-dev] [TripleO][keystone] internal endpoints vs sanity

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Jul 24 08:57:34 UTC 2017

On 07/24/2017 04:23 PM, Attila Fazekas wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> The real question is do we agree in the
> internalULR usage what suggested in [1] is a bad security practice
> and should not be told to operators at all.
>
> Also we should try to get rid off the enpointTypes in keystone v4.
>
> Do we have any good (not just making happy funny dev envs) to keep
> endpoint types ?

First step is stopping to use the word "endpoint_type" - it's
"interface". Also, "internalURL" is legacy keystone v2, it's "internal"

"admin" interface is a thing that people shouldn't use. It's a holdover
from a day when keystone did weird things. Nobody else should use it ever.

However, we just ADDED the ability to more intelligently consume
interface so that public/internal cases can be handled better based on
use-cases from deployers, so I do not think they're going to go away any
time in the forseeable future.

For instance, we added the ability to pass a list of interface values to
keystoneauth's endpoint_filter - and these are also now in the adapter
options so that the default value for "interface" for nova talking to
neutron can be ['internal', 'public'] - which says: "please default to
using the internal interface if one exists, otherwise fall back to the
public interface"

While it may not be a setup that everyone wants, for some deployers
having a public and internal is important. I know several clouds have
deployed completely separate API tiers and registered them as "internal"
so that they could be assured that service-to-service communications
worked well even if end-users were hammering the public endpoints. Those
deployers do not seem to mind the RFC1918 showing up in the catalog, and
if they're doing point-to-point firewalling (as they should be) the
private addresses should not be considered 'secret' so there's no real
problem exposing them in the catalog.