[openstack-dev] [keystone] keystoneauth1 3.0.0 broken keystonemiddleware

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 22:14:31 UTC 2017

After a little head scratching and a Pantera playlist later, we ended up
figuring out the main causes. The failures can be found in the gate [0].
The two failures are detailed below:

1.) Keystoneauth version 3.0.0 added a lot of functionality and might
return a different url depending on discovery. Keystonemiddleware use to
be able to mock urls to keystone in this case because keystoneauth
didn't modify the url in between. Keystonemiddleware didn't know how to
deal with the new url and the result was a Mock failure. This is
something that we can fix in keystonemiddleware once we have a version
of keystoneauth that covers all discovery cases and does the right
thing. NOTE: If you're mocking requests to keystone and using
keystoneauth somewhere in your project's tests, you'll have to deal with
this. More on that below.

2.) The other set of failures were because keystoneauth wasn't expecting
a URL without a path [1], causing an index error. I tested the fix [2]
against keystonemiddleware and it seems to take care of the issue. Eric
is working on a fix. Once that patch is fully tested and vetted we'll
roll another keystoneauth release (3.0.1) and use that to test
keystonemiddleware to handle the mocking issues described in #1. From
there we should be able to safely bump the minimum version to 3.0.1, and
avoid 3.0.0 all together.

Let me know if you see anything else suspicious with respect to
keystoneauth. Thanks!

[0]
http://logs.openstack.org/84/486184/1/check/gate-keystonemiddleware-python27-ubuntu-xenial/7c079da/testr_results.html.gz
[1]