[openstack-dev] [TripleO] An experiment with Ansible

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri Jul 21 08:04:27 UTC 2017

On 07/21/2017 03:04 AM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 06:21:22PM -0400, James Slagle wrote:

[...]

> Sorry if this hasn't been asked before but why don't you removed all of your
> ansible-playbook logic out of heat and write them directly as native playbooks /
> roles? Then instead of having a tool that reads heat to then generate the
> playbooks / roles, you update heat just to directly call the playbooks? Any
> dynamic information about be stored in the inventory or using the --extra-vars
> on the CLI?
this is actually what the heat > mistral triggering mechansim implements

Heat provides the extra_vars and triggers the native ceph-ansible
playbook at the right time during the deployment

I believe Steven's goal in [1] is to prepare the data to build the
ansible inventory group vars from the role data which seems to me to go
in the same direction that James is proposing of driving the deployment
steps without the Heat software deployments

If from a service template we could point to a playbook, instead of
describing one in Heat, this might replace the Heat > Mistral calling too

Yet, there is another question we probably want to discuss: is this just
so we use ansible to drive the deployment steps or do we want ansible to
replace puppet for the overcloud configuration?

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483929/
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA