[openstack-dev] [TripleO] An experiment with Ansible

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Fri Jul 21 01:04:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 06:21:22PM -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> Following up on the previous thread:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-July/119405.html
>
> I wanted to share some work I did around the prototype I mentioned
> there. I spent a couple days exploring this idea. I came up with a
> Python script that when run against an in progress Heat stack, will
> pull all the server and deployment metadata out of Heat and generate
> ansible playbooks/tasks from the deployments.
>
> Here's the code:
> https://github.com/slagle/pump
>
> And an example of what gets generated:
> https://gist.github.com/slagle/433ea1bdca7e026ce8ab2c46f4d716a8
>
> If you're interested in any more detail, let me know.
>
> It signals the stack to completion with a dummy "ok" signal so that
> the stack will complete. You can then use ansible-playbook to apply
> the actual deloyments (in the expected order, respecting the steps
> across all roles, and in parallel across all the roles).
>
> Effectively, this treats Heat as nothing but a yaml cruncher. When
> using it with deployed-server, Heat doesn't actually change anything
> on an overcloud node, you're only using it to generate ansible.
>
> Honestly, I think I will prefer the longer term approach of using
> stack outputs. Although, I am not sure of the end goal of that work
> and if it is the same as this prototype.

Sorry if this hasn't been asked before but why don't you removed all of your
ansible-playbook logic out of heat and write them directly as native playbooks /
roles? Then instead of having a tool that reads heat to then generate the
playbooks / roles, you update heat just to directly call the playbooks? Any
dynamic information about be stored in the inventory or using the --extra-vars
on the CLI?

Basically, we do this for zuulv2.5 today in openstack-infra (dynamically
generate playbooks at run-time) and it is a large amount of work to debug
issues.  In our case, we did it to quickly migrate from jenkins to ansible
(since zuulv3 completely fixes this with native playbooks) and I wouldn't
recommend it to operators to do.  Not fun.