[openstack-dev] [magnum] Architecture support for either VM or Ironic instance as Containers' Host ?

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Thu Jul 20 15:05:00 UTC 2017

Hi Greg,

You're correct - magnum features support for running on top of VMs or
baremetal. Currently baremetal is supported for kubernetes on Fedora core
only[1]. There is a cluster template parameter 'server_type', which should
be set to 'BM' for baremetal clusters.

In terms of how this works within magnum, each magnum driver advertises one
or more (OS, COE, server_type) tuples that it supports via its 'provides'
property. There is no 'container-host-driver API' - magnum drivers are
largely just a collection of heat templates and a little python glue.

Due to historic and current limitations with ironic (mostly around
networking[2] and block storage support), drivers typically support either
VM or BM. Ironic networking has improved over the last few releases, and it
is becoming feasible to support baremetal using the standard VM drivers. I
think there is a general desire within the project to only support one set
of drivers and remove the maintenance burden.

In terms of your use case, I think that your proprietary bare metal service
would likely not work with any existing drivers. If it could be integrated
with heat, there there is a chance that you could implement a magnum driver
and reuse some of the shared magnum code for configuring and running COEs.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/magnum/tree/master/magnum/drivers/k8s_fedora_ironic_v1
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum/+bug/1544195