[openstack-dev] [all] Cleaning up inactive meetbot channels

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 19 19:24:00 UTC 2017

For those who are unaware, Freenode doesn't allow any one user to
/join more than 120 channels concurrently. This has become a
challenge for some of the community's IRC bots in the past year,
most recently the "openstack" meetbot (which not only handles
meetings but also takes care of channel logging to
eavesdrop.openstack.org and does the nifty bug number resolution
some people seem to like).

I have run some rudimentary analysis and come up with the following
list of channels which have had fewer than 10 lines said by anyone
besides a bot over the past three months:

    #craton
    #openstack-api
    #openstack-app-catalog
    #openstack-bareon
    #openstack-cloudpulse
    #openstack-community
    #openstack-cue
    #openstack-diversity
    #openstack-gluon
    #openstack-gslb
    #openstack-ko
    #openstack-kubernetes
    #openstack-networking-cisco
    #openstack-neutron-release
    #openstack-opw
    #openstack-pkg
    #openstack-product
    #openstack-python3
    #openstack-quota
    #openstack-rating
    #openstack-solar
    #openstack-swauth
    #openstack-ux
    #openstack-vmware-nsx
    #openstack-zephyr

I have a feeling many of these are either no longer needed, or what
little and infrequent conversation they get used for could just as
easily happen in a general channel like #openstack-dev or #openstack
or maybe in the more active channel of their parent team for some
subteams. Who would miss these if we ceased logging/using them? Does
anyone want to help by asking around to people who might not see
this thread, maybe by popping into those channels and seeing if any
of the sleeping denizens awaken and say they still want to keep it
around?

Ultimately we should improve our meetbot deployment to support
sharding channels across multiple bots, but that will take some time
to implement and needs volunteers willing to work on it. In the
meantime we're running with the meetbot present in 120 channels and
have at least one new channel that desires logging and can't get it
until we whittle that number down.
--
Jeremy Stanley