[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Let's use Ansible to deploy OpenStack services on Kubernetes

Ryan Hallisey rhallise at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 20:48:48 UTC 2017

> I think this at some point might be single biggest benefit of using
> helm on the long run - leverage infrastructure charts that aren't
> openstack-centric. Things like etcd are already written and
> potentially we can just help support them.

I think the tools that are being discussion here are both very good
(helm & ansible), but I have a slightly different opinion about how
Helm should be used.

Helm is a *package manager*. It's scope is for simple applications
that need to bundle resources.  It's great at saving me time on doing
simple recipes like: kubectl create -f <my_pv> and kubectl create -f
<my_pod> over and over again. But, beyond a single app with a few
resources, Helm is going to struggle on it's own. Meaning, either Helm
would have to change or another tool would have to fill the gaps.

If Helm wants to change, it becomes less differentiated from what
Ansible already does. It's niche as a simple app package manager will
evaporate and Ansible already owns the orchestration space. Therefore,
I think long term Helm as an orchestration tool doesn't make sense
because it's limited to Kubernetes and Ansible adoption is wide
spread.

That doesn't mean that Helm is useless.  In fact, I think the Helm
charts are great when used as simple standalone recipes. However, for
a complex app like OpenStack, I think you need something like Ansible
to provide the orchestration. Underneath, you can use whatever you
want to create the Kubernetes resources. In the end, the difference
will be `helm create mariadb` vs `kubectl create -f mariadb-pod.yaml`.
Both solutions will work, but the Helm work seems to be much farther
along.

One other thing to mention. Maybe folks can speed up writing these
playbooks by using kolla-ansible's playbooks as a shell. Here's an
example: [1] Take lines 1-16 and replace it with helm install mariadb
or
kubectl create -f mariabd-pod.yaml and set inventory to localhost.
Just a thought.

There may be some other playbooks out there I don' know about that you
can use, but that could at least get some of the collaboration started
so folks don't have to start from scratch.

[1] - https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/afdd11b9a22ecca70962a4637d89ad50b7ded2e5/ansible/roles/mariadb/tasks/start.yml#L1-L16

Sincerely,
Ryan