[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:18:41 UTC 2017

On 07/14/2017 06:01 PM, Samuel Cassiba wrote:
> Chiming in from the believed-to-be-dead Chef project, I work on it because it scratches my itch. I served as PTL because it did and does scratch my itch. Working on it in any capacity that moves things forward continues to scratch that itch. We have less of a technical problem, not to downplay our tech debt, as we’re still pushing patches and shuffling reviews. However, we have a huge perception problem and equally large marketing problem, which is apparently an unwritten side job of being a PTL. We didn’t get that memo until the Big Tent was deemed too smothering. The fun part about being a PTL with effectively no team is that, when you or your counterpart isn’t actively marketing and spending more time making noise than working, people call you dead to your face. Even when you spend the time and money to go to marketing events.

Over the past year or so, many industry pundits, former developers and
IT folks have said that OpenStack is dead technology or that the
OpenStack community and project's best days are behind it. I've
personally suffered from depression [1] due to these naysayer's remarks.
My "dead" remarks about the OpenStack Chef contribution staleness were
categorically deaf to my own laments regarding the cause of my
depressing thoughts.

Sam, I'm sorry that I said in the Fuel big tent thread that OpenStack
Chef was effectively dead. While what I meant was that OpenStack Chef
has very few contributors/maintainers, using the word "dead" was both
impolite and emotionally insensitive. Please accept my apologies.

While I don't believe OpenStack is dead technology, I do recognize it's
no longer cool. And that's fine with me. Outside of Silly Valley,
coolness actually isn't all that attractive, I've learned. And so we
should take heart that, as Tim Bell so eloquently put it [2]: "The cool
things are the applications you enable."

Certainly words to remember.

Regards,
-jay

[1] https://twitter.com/jaypipes/status/883011672851570688