[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Let's use Ansible to deploy OpenStack services on Kubernetes

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Fri Jul 14 16:14:42 UTC 2017

On 14.07.2017 17:55, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> Guys.... you just described Kolla-Kubernetes pretty much... how about
> we join effort and work towards this goal together?

That's exactly that I'd like we all to do.

> On 14 July 2017 at 08:43, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> It's hard to estimate that complexity w/o having a PoC of such an
>>> integration. We should come up with a final choice once we have it done.
>>>
>>> My vote would go for investing engineering resources into solutions that
>>> have problems already solved, even by the price of added complexity (but
>>> that sort of depends...). Added complexity may be compensated with
>>> removed complexity (like those client -> Mistral -> Heat -> Mistral ->
>>> Ansible manipulations discussed in the mail thread mentioned below [0])
>>

>> I agree it's hard to estimate but you gotta draw the line somewhere. I
>> actually
>> spent time on this and here's a small PoC of ansible+mariadb+helm. I wrote
>> the
>> pyhelm lib (took some code from the openstack-helm folks) and I wrote the
>> ansible helm module myself. I'd say I've spent enough time on this research.
>>
>> I don't think getting a full PoC working is worth it as that will require
>> way
>> more work for not much value since we can anticipate some of the
>> complexities
>> already.
>>
>> As far as the complexity comment goes, I disagree with you. I don't think
>> you're
>> evaluating the amount of complexity that there *IS* already in TripleO and
>> how
>> adding more complexity (layers, states, services) would make things worse
>> for
>> not much extra value.
>>
>> By all means, I might be wrong here so, do let me know if you're seeing
>> something I'm not.

My point was to "trade" complexity described in the "Forming our plans
around Ansible​" ML thread:

(3) Mistral calling Heat calling Mistral calling Ansible

to just

(3') something calls kolla-kubernetes/openstack-helm, via some wrapper
composition overlay (which creates complexity), or the like

While the latter might add complexity like the way you (Flavio) have
described, the former would remove *another* type of complexity, and the
result might worth the efforts.

>> Flavio
>> --
>> @flaper87