[openstack-dev] [all] New setuptools release, and the world is broken

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 15:55:40 UTC 2017

On 7/14/17, 4:17 PM, "Jeremy Stanley" <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

>    Chicken and egg. Once you get to the point where pip can enforce
>   constraints, you already have a version of setuptools installed. And
>    as evidenced by, for example, this current bug you would just end up
>    breaking on the downgrade trying to replace your existing broken
>    version with whatever version is requested. Also you would need a
>    separate phase to upgrade/downgrade setuptools separate from other
>    packages using it.

Which is why I think we should do it right at the point where we put pip there. This can be done with the get-pip script which only requires python to be there.

I did a little spelunking to try and figure out where it is we put pip onto the nodepool nodes. It appears that d-i-b for Ubuntu Xenial uses packages to put it there, but that doesn’t explain how the latest version got there. Does anyone have any insight into where exactly the latest version is installed?

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.