[openstack-dev] [all] New setuptools release, and the world is broken

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 08:32:48 UTC 2017

FYI if you see the following error in your job logs, you have the new setuptools to thank:

AttributeError: Distribution instance has no attribute 'install_requires'

I’ve registered https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/1086 to track the issue, and very quickly got a response and there’s a PR up to resolve it.

In our case we saw this when downgrading setuptools to our known, good working version.

I’d like to suggest that we include setuptools, pip, wheel and other core packages in the upper constraints management process and that all the images built for jobs make use of it. The number of times that a new release of pip/setuptools has completely ground development to a halt for a day, sometimes more, is a little too frequent for my liking.

IIRC we’d need to just change the u-c generation output from ‘pip freeze’ to ‘pip freeze –all’ for the output to include the versions for pip, setuptools and wheel. Then, with that spec, pip can be installed using u-c like so:

CURL_CMD="curl --silent --show-error --retry 5"
OUTPUT_FILE="get-pip.py"
${CURL_CMD} https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py > ${OUTPUT_FILE} ||\
    ${CURL_CMD} https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pypa/get-pip/master/get-pip.py > ${OUTPUT_FILE}

python ${OUTPUT_FILE} pip setuptools wheel -c upper-constraints.txt

That will ensure a consistent, known good version set is installed and will also cater for the situation where the primary URL for get-pip.py is down (as happens sometimes).

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.