[openstack-dev] [nova] bug triage experimentation

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jul 12 12:43:28 UTC 2017

On 07/11/2017 04:31 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-07-10 07:33:28 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
>> Ideally storyboard would just be a lot more receptive to these kinds of
>> things, by emitting a more native event stream,
>
> Well, there is
> so replacing or partnering its RabbitMQ publisher with something
> like an MQTT publisher into firehose.openstack.org is probably not
> terribly hard for someone with interest in that and would be
> generally useful.
>
>> and having really good tag support (preferably actually project
>> scoped tags, so setting it on the nova task doesn't impact the
>> neutron tasks on the same story, as an for instance)
> [...]
>
> Your queries (including those used to build automatic tasklists and
> boards) could just include project in addition to tag, right? Or is
> this more of a UI concern, being able to click on an arbitrary tag
> in the webclient and only get back a set of tagged stories for the
> same project rather than across all projects?

My concern is based on current limitations in launchpad, and to make
sure they don't get encoded into Storyboard.

Tags in launchpad are at the Bug level. Bugs map to projects as Tasks.
Which is why you can have 1 Bug set to be impacting both Nova and
Neutron. You get lots of weirdness today when for instance a bug is
assigned to Nova and Ironic, and the Nova team tags it "ironic" in
triage, but that means that now Ironic has a bug with the "ironic" tag.
Then if later Nova is removed from the bug, it ends up really all
looking odd and confusing.

Or the fact that "compute" as a Nova tag means the compute worker, but
other teams tag things with compute to just mean Nova is involved.
Project scoped tags would help clarify what context it is in.

	-Sean

Sean Dague
http://dague.net