[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Forming our plans around Ansible

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 23:53:55 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:50 PM, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are also some ideas forming around pulling the Ansible playbooks
>>>
>>> and vars out of Heat so that they can be rerun (or run initially)
>>> independently from the Heat SoftwareDeployment delivery mechanism:
>>

>> I think the closer we can come to "the operator runs ansible-playbook to
>> configure the overcloud" the better, but not because I think Ansible is
>> inherently a great tool: rather, I think the many layers of indirection in
>> our existing model make error reporting and diagnosis much more complicated
>> that it needs to be.  Combined with Puppet's "fail as late as possible"
>> model, this means that (a) operators waste time waiting for a deployment
>> that is ultimately going to fail but hasn't yet, and (b) when it does fail,
>> they need relatively intimate knowledge of our deployment tools to backtrack
>> through logs and find the root cause of the failure.
>>
>> If we can offer a deployment mode that reduces the number of layers
>> between the operator and the actions being performed on the hosts I think we
>> would win on both fronts: faster failures and reporting errors as close as
>> possible to the actual problem will result in less frustration across the
>> board.
>>
>> I do like Steve's suggestion of a split model where Heat is responsible
>> for instantiating OpenStack resources while Ansible is used to perform host
>> configuration tasks.  Despite all the work done on Ansible's OpenStack
>> modules, they feel inflexible and frustrating to work with when compared to
>> Heat's state-aware, dependency ordered deployments.  A solution that allows
>> Heat to output configuration that can subsequently be consumed by Ansible --
>> either running manually or perhaps via Mistral for API-driven-deployments --
>> seems like an excellent goal.  Using Heat as a "front-end" to the process
>> means that we get to keep the parameter validation and documentation that is
>> missing in Ansible, while still following the Unix philosophy of giving you
>> enough rope to hang yourself if you really want it.
>

> I think this nicely sums up what we should be aiming for, but I'd like to
> elaborate on "either running manually or perhaps via Mistral for
> API-driven-deployments".
>
> I think its important that we allow full support for both mistral-driven and
> manually running playbooks. If there was no option to run ansible-playbook
> directly then operators would miss one of the main benefits of using ansible
> in the first place (which is leveraging their knowledge of inventory,
> playbooks and roles to deploy things).

+1, I like this idea as well. If you have a few minutes could you
summarize it here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-queens-ansible

I'm attempting to capture some of the common requirements from this
thread for discussion at the ptg so we can consider them when choosing
solution(s).

--
-- James Slagle