[openstack-dev] [Glare][TC][Interop] Application for inclusion of Glare in the list of official projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 11 14:12:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-11 13:47:41 +0200 (+0200), Flavio Percoco wrote:
[...]
> Anything that delays the transition to the new thing is providing
> a fake bridge to the users. It's a bridge that will be blown-up
> eventually.
>
> To make a hypothetical transition from Glance to Glare works
> smoothly, we should first figure out how to migrate the database
> (assuming this has not been done yet), how to migrate the images,
> etc. Only when these things have been figured out, I'd start
> worrying about what compatibility layer we want to provide. The
> answer could also be: "Hey, we're sorry but, the best thing you
> can do is to migrate your code base as soon as possible".
[...]

There's also this challenge which we'd need to deal with eventually,
and which would require substantial transition planning and
messaging:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/interop/tree/2017.01.json?id=b397863#n3705

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/interop/tree/doc/source/process/CoreCriteria.rst?id=d8fb682#n62

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/tags/tc_approved-release.rst?id=a2b9702#n82

If we decide to go forward with such an action, it will be a _very_
lengthy process and one we shouldn't enter into without a
significant amount of certainty that we can see it through to
completion.
--
Jeremy Stanley