[openstack-dev] [nova] bug triage experimentation

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jul 10 11:33:28 UTC 2017

On 07/05/2017 03:23 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
<snip>

> I also believe that some of the scripts could be transformed into
> native features of Storyboard where bugs could be auto-triaged
> periodically without human intervention.
> Maybe it would convince more OpenStack projects to leave Launchpad and
> adopt Storyboard?
> I would certainly one of those and propose such a change for TripleO &
> related projects.

Maybe... my concern there is that workflow encoded into trackers is
pretty static, and it's hard to evolve, because it impacts all users of
that platform. Where as a script that processes bugs externally can
adapt really quickly based on what's working / not working with a
particular team. There is no 1 right way to handle bugs, it's just about
making every bug handling team the most effective that they can be.
Which means I assume that different teams would find different parts of
this useful, and other parts things they wouldn't want to use at all.
That's why I tried to make every "processing unit" it's own cli.

Ideally storyboard would just be a lot more receptive to these kinds of
things, by emitting a more native event stream, and having really good
tag support (preferably actually project scoped tags, so setting it on
the nova task doesn't impact the neutron tasks on the same story, as an
for instance) so the hack we need to do on LP isn't needed. But,
actually, beyond that, keeping the processing logic team specific is a
good thing. It's much like the fact that we've largely done gerrit
review dashboards client side, because they are fast to iterate on, then
server side.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague