[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Status update on 3.27 attachments integration

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:26:42 UTC 2017

I wanted to provide an update on where we're at with the series of nova
changes to integrate with the new style 3.27 volume attachments API.

This is building a foundation between both projects for supporting
multi-attach volumes in Nova in Queens.

The series has 3 major changes:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/cinder-new-attach-apis

a) Updating swap volume to use the new volume attachment flow. I've been
working on this with Ildiko Vancsa. Integration tests are passing on
this with the new style attachments enabled at the end of the series.
This is should be ready to go but has not had review from other Nova
cores, so is at risk.

b) Updating live migration to use the new volume attachment flow. Steve
Noyes has been working on this. I've reviewed and helped with some
testing (verified with CI that volume-backed live migration is passing
against this change with the new flow enabled with libvirt). No other
Nova cores have reviewed this yet so it's at risk. Also, even if we get
that change in, we have to also update the Hyper-v and XenAPI drivers
which also support live migration.

c) Updating the compute API code to start using the new attachments API
when (1) all computes are upgraded to the latest version and (2) Cinder
3.27 is available in the deployment. Those constraints are meant to
support rolling upgrades before the new code flows are running. The
change is passing Tempest CI but has not gotten much Nova core review
yet. I've done some review but not a deep review on the latest revision.

Risk: High - this is high risk mainly because of the lack of another
Nova core being involved in the changes. John Garbutt was the other core
helping with this series but he has not been active since he was laid
off from OSIC, which was back in May.

We also need to add some upgrade testing in the Grenade project so that
we can be sure a volume attached in Ocata is properly detached in Pike.
Steve Noyes was investigating this.

Matt