[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 27

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:59:26 UTC 2017

Thanks for resuming these, Chris, much appreciated. Comments inline.

On 07/07/2017 07:44 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> After 40 days in the desert I've returned with placement update 27.
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, no one did any updates while I
> was gone so I don't have anything to crib from to have the full
> story on what's going on. I suspect I will miss some relevant
> reviews when making this list. If I have, please let me know.
> Otherwise, let's begin:

Actually, you did a great job catching up, thank you!

> # What Matters Most
>
> Claims in the scheduler remains the key feature we'd like to get in
> before feature freeze. After some hiccups on how to do it, making
> requests of the new /allocation_candidates (of which more, below) is
> the way to go. Changes for that are starting at
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476631/

Well, the above is the only remaining non-WIP patch that hasn't already
merged. The remainder of the series:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/placement-allocation-requests

has merged in the last couple weeks. We've made a lot of progress on it.

The patch above is currently approved and on its way through the gate.

The patch after it:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476632/

Is what I'm currently actively working on and performs the resource
claims within the scheduler by picking one of the allocation candidates
returned from the call to GET /allocation_candidates and using that
candidate as the HTTP request body to PUT /allocations/{consumer_uuid}.

I'm hoping to have that patch un-WIP'd and ready for review by the end
of day today.

> # What's Changed
>
> As mentioned, there's now a new URL in the placement API:
> GET /allocation_candidates. It has a similar interface to GET
> /resource_providers (in that you can filter the results by the kind
> of resources required) but the information is formatted as a
> two-tuple of lists of allocation requests and a dictionary of
> resource provider information. The latter will provide the initial
> list of available resource providers and augment the process of
> filtering and weighing those providers. The former provides a
> collection of correctly formed JSON bodies that can be sent in a PUT
> to /allocations/{consumer_uuid} when making a claim.

Yup, exactly. This was Dan Smith's idea and I really like it. It makes
the returned allocation request body opaque (to systems other than the
scheduler and placement service) so that things like the cell-level
conductor and nova-compute service can literally pass a different
allocation request JSON object to PUT /allocations/{consumer_uuid} and
we get a clean, consistent "retry" mechanism that operators wanted to keep.

> I'm still a bit confused about where the concept of "alternatives"
> that are going to be passed to the cell conductors fits into this,
> but I guess that will become more clear soon.

Yes, this should become clearer soon, but essentially we'll be changing
the scheduler's select_destinations() RPC method to return not just the
destination hosts selected by the scheduler for a request but also one
or more allocation candidates that matched the original launch request
for resources. These JSON objects will be opaque to everything outside
of the scheduler/placement services and, as noted above, will serve as
the clean, consistent retry mechanism within the cells. This retry
mechanism is missing in cellsv2 architecture due to the way that cells
cannot do "upcalls" to the API layer.

> It also seems like this model creates a pretty strong conceptual
> coupling between a thing which behaves like a nova-scheduler
> (request, process, then claim resources).

Conceptual coupling between nova-scheduler and what? It looks like you
cut off your question above mid-stream :)

> As placement becomes useful to other services it will be important to
> revisit some of these decisions and make sure the HTTP API is not
> imposing too many behaviuor requirements on the client side
> (otherwise why bother having an HTTP API?). But that's for later.
> Right now we're on a tight schedule trying to make sure that claims
> get in in Ocata.

The concept of a claim is simply an atomic creation of related
allocation records for a consumer against one or more resource
providers. What are the behaviour requirements on the client side that
worry you? Let's discuss those concerns here and work through them.

> Because there's a bit of a dependency hierarchy with the various
> threads of work going on in placement, the work on claims may punt
> traits and/or nested resource providers further down the timeline.
> Work continues on all three concurrently.

Right, all three continue concurrently.

> Another change is that allocations now include project id and user
> id information and usages by those id can be retrieved.

Yup, this is A Good Thing :) I look forward to the day we can replace
the old os-simple-tenant-usage Compute API with something that's more
efficient!

Best,
-jay