[openstack-dev] [neutron] writable mtu

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Thu Jul 6 01:43:08 UTC 2017

OK, so I should read before writing...

On 5 July 2017 at 18:11, Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk> wrote:

> On 5 July 2017 at 14:14, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Heya,
>>
>> we have https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1671634 approved for
>> Pike that allows setting MTU for network on creation.
>

> This was actually in the very first MTU spec (in case no one looked),
> though it never got implemented.  The spec details a whole bunch of stuff
> about how to calculate whether the proposed MTU will fit within the encap,
> incidentally, and will reject network creations when it doesn't.

OK, even referenced in the bug, so apologies, we're all good.

So, I wonder if we can instead lay the ground for updatable MTU right
>> away, and allow_post: True from the start, even while implementing
>> create only as a phase-1. Then we can revisit the decision if needed
>> without touching api. What do you think?

I think I misinterpreted: you'd enable all options and then deal with the
consequences in the backend code which has to implement one the of the
previously listed behaviours?  That seems sane to me provided the required
behaviours are documented somewhere where a driver implementer has to trip
over them.
--
Ian.