[openstack-dev] [tripleo] CI Squad Meeting Summary (week 26) - job renaming discussion

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 17:45:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Jiří Stránský <jistr at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 30.6.2017 15:04, Attila Darazs wrote:
>>
>> = Renaming the CI jobs =
>>
>> When we started the job transition to Quickstart, we introduced the
>> concept of featuresets[1] that define a certain combination of features
>> for each job.
>>
>> This seemed to be a sensible solution, as it's not practical to mention
>> all the individual features in the job name, and short names can be
>> misleading (for example ovb-ha job does so much more than tests HA).
>>
>> We decided to keep the original names for these jobs to simplify the
>> transition, but the plan is to rename them to something that will help
>> to reproduce the jobs locally with Quickstart.
>>
>> The proposed naming scheme will be the same as the one we're now using
>> for job type in project-config:
>>
>> gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-{node-config}-{featureset-config}
>>
>> So for example the current "gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-ha-oooq" job
>> would look like "gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-featureset001"
>

> I'd prefer to keep the job names somewhat descriptive... If i had to pick
> one or the other, i'd rather stick with the current way, as at least for me
> it's higher priority to see descriptive names in CI results than saving time
> on finding featureset file mapping when needing to reproduce a job result.
> My eyes scan probably more than a hundred of individual CI job results
> daily, but i only need to reproduce 0 or 1 job failures locally usually.
>
> Alternatively, could we rename "featureset001.yaml" into
> "featureset-ovb-ha.yaml" and then have i guess something like
> "gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-ovb-ha" for the job name? Maybe
> "ovb" would be there twice, in case it's needed both in node config and
> featureset parts of the job name...

I'm in favor of keeping jobnames as simple as possible.
To me, we should use something like gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-featureset001

So we know:

- it's a tripleo gate job running on centos7
- it's OVB and not multinode
- it's deploying featureset001

Please don't mention HA or ceph or other features in the name because
it would be too rigid in case of featureset would change the coverage.

Note: if we go that way, we also might want to rename scenario jobs
and use featureset in the job name.
Note2: if we rename jobs, we need to keep doing good work on
documenting what featureset deploy and make
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-quickstart/blob/master/doc/source/feature-configuration.rst
more visible probably.

My 2 cents.

> Or we could pull the mapping between job name and job type in an automated
> way from project-config.
>
> (Will be on PTO for a week from now, apologies if i don't respond timely
> here.)
>

> Have a good day,
>
> Jirka
>

>> The advantage of this will be that it will be easy to reproduce a gate
>> job on a local virthost by typing something like:
>>
>> ./quickstart.sh --release tripleo-ci/master \
>>       --nodes config/nodes/3ctlr_1comp.yml \
>>       --config config/general_config/featureset001.yml \
>>       <virthost>
>>
>> Please let us know if this method sounds like a step forward.

Emilien Macchi