[openstack-dev] Identify Openstack commands and manipulate them

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 08:26:15 UTC 2017

On 03/07, david jhon wrote:
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Openstack commands mean some administrative commands as listed here:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-openstackclient/command-objects/server.html
>
> I want to identify incoming openstack server commands on controller machine
> and manipulate their execution.

Hi,

Are you trying to track the execution from the client to the server and
then within services?

Usually you would use the `--debug` parameter on the client (this works
not only on the openstack common client but also on individual service
clients), then you'll see what REST API entries are being called on the
server.

>From there you can go and check the server logs (better if services are
in debug mode) and see the code path these are following.

If you want to follow a particular tenant/project and user it will
depend on the configured logging format, but they usually include the
project_id or project_name and the user_id or user_name.

Also, on the server side most projects have an "api" directory where all
REST API entries first hit the code (well, sometimes it's not really the
first hit, but close enough), for example in cinder we'll have
cinder/api.

Cheers,
Gorka.