[openstack-dev] [Solum] PTL Candidacy for Pike

Devdatta Kulkarni kulkarni.devdatta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:15:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

I would like to submit my candidacy to continue as PTL of Solum for
the Pike cycle.

Solum (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum) is a big tent project that
supports
building, testing, and deploying applications on OpenStack starting from
applications' source code. Applications are built as Docker containers and
deployed using Heat. Application containers are stored in Glance or Swift
(configurable).

Looking back at the Ocata cycle, some of the highlights for our team have
been:
- adding kolla-ansible role [1] and kolla container [2] for Solum
  (Many thanks to Wei Cao for spearheading this effort)
- completing Ocata goal of removing incubated Oslo libraries
- extending our core contributor team [3]

The key focus areas for the Pike cycle include:
- finding an alternative for nova-docker in our devstack setup
- completing the work that we started on adding support for building
applications into VM images
- making it easy for operators to configure and use different build and
deploy options that are supported within Solum

You might remember, we have been using nova-docker as the Virt driver
in our devstack setup. However, nova-docker is being retired [4].
So it is important that we find a replacement that can work in our devstack
setup.
We have been looking at Zun as this replacement [5]. In this cycle I hope
we can finish this work, thus removing our dependence on nova-docker.

One of our contributors has been working on adding support
to build applications into VM images [6].
You can find the details about this use-case and approach
in his thesis [7]. I hope that we are able to complete this work in this
cycle.
This will give Solum the ability to build and deploy applications as VM
images in addition to Docker containers.

Lastly, we should continue working on the Python 3.5 support [8],
which has been approved as the community-wide goal for this cycle.

If you are interested in Solum feel free to reach out to us here, or on
Solum IRC channel
(#solum on chat.freenode.net).

Regards,
Devdatta Kulkarni