[openstack-dev] [aodh][vitrage] Aodh generic alarms

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Thu Jan 26 16:08:15 UTC 2017

On 25/01/2017, 17:12, "Julien Danjou" <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25 2017, Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) wrote:
>
> To circle back to the original point, the main question that I asked and
> started this thread is: why, why Aodh should store Vitrage alarms? What
> are the advantages, for both Aodh and Vitrage?
>
> So far the only answer I read is "well we though Aodh would be a central
> storage place for alarm". So far it seems it has more drawbacks than
> benefits: worst performances for Vitrage, confusion for users and more
> complexity in Aodh.
>
> As I already said, I'm trying to be really objective on this. I just
> really want someone to explain to me how awesome this will be and why we
> should totally go toward this direction. :-)

I’ll try to answer your question from a user perspective.

Suppose a bridge has a bond of two physical ports, and Zabbix detects a signal loss in one of them. This failure has no immediate effect on the host, instances or applications, and will not be reflected anywhere in OpenStack.

Vitrage will receive an alarm from Zabbix, identify the instances that will be affected if the entire bond fails, and create deduced alarms that they are at risk (if the other port fails they will become unreachable). Similarly, it will create alarms on the relevant applications.

A user that checks Aodh will see that all alarms are in ‘ok’ state, which might be misleading. The user might determine that everything is ok with the instances that Aodh is monitoring. If the user then checks Vitrage, he will see the deduced alarms and understand that the instances and the applications are at risk.

Does it make sense that the user will check Aodh *and* Vitrage? A standard user would like to see all of the alarms in one place, no matter which monitor was responsible for triggering them.

And a side note – you said that Aodh and Zabbix are exactly the same. I agree. You can implement in Aodh everything that is implemented in Zabbix. But why do that instead of just using that alarms that are already created by another monitor?

Well… is this awesome enough? ;-)
Ifat.