[openstack-dev] [mistral] PTL Candidacy

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:13:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm Renat Akhmerov. I'm again running for PTL of Mistral in Pike.
Mistral is a workflow service developed within the OpenStack community from
the ground up.

In the last two development cycles (newton and ocata) we made a huge progress
on improving project maturity. Workflow engine works two orders of magnitude
faster than a year ago and it finally started working in multi-node mode.
We also significantly improvemed Mistral docs and Mistral Dashboard which
is finally a usable tool, made a number of backward compatible improvements in
Mistral workflow language, implemented an alternative RPC that eliminates
problems of the previous one, and other hundreds of bugs and smaller changes.
But our biggest achievement is that Mistral is now being used by even more
users and found its place in such fields as NFV, deployment, automation etc.

For the next cycle I'd like to propose the following roadmap which is built
on our users' needs:

* Performance & benchmarking
  * Less overhead per task
  * Big workflow graphs
  * Optimize ‘join’ tasks
* HA
  * Primarily we need to add test harness to make sure that HA is achieved
* Failover. Take care of running workflows on:
  * Mistral component restart
  * Infrastructure failures (DB, MQ, network etc.)
* Usability
  * New CLI/API (more consistent and human friendly interface)
  * Debugging workflows
  * Workflow failure analysis (error messages, navigate through nested
    workflows etc.)
* Refactor Actions subsystem
  * Formalised Python API to develop actions
  * Actions testability
  * Actions versioning (i.e. actions working with different versions of
    OpenStack services)

I'm hoping to gain your support regarding this roadmap.

We're always happy to get new contributors on the project and always ready
to help people interested in Mistral development get up to speed. The best
way to get in touch with us is IRC channel #openstack-mistral.

My patch to openstack/election repo: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/425573/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/425573/>

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia