[openstack-dev] [aodh][vitrage] Aodh generic alarms

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Wed Jan 25 14:16:02 UTC 2017

On 25/01/17 08:39 AM, Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) wrote:
> As we see it, alarms can be generated by different sources – Aodh, Vitrage, Nagios, Zabbix, etc. Each source has its own expertise and internal implementation. Nagios and Zabbix can raise alarms about the physical layer, Aodh can raise threshold alarms and event alarms, and Vitrage can raise deduced alarms (e.g. if there is an alarm on a host, Vitrage will raise alarms on the relevant instances and applications). I would prefer that you view Vitrage the way you view Zabbix, as a project that has a way of evaluating some kinds of problems in the system, and notify about them.

so the purpose of 'generic alarms' proposal was just to 'log' the alarm
from vitrage in a central place? tbh, i don't know if that's what we
want to store in aodh. i think it should ideally be handling active
alarms, not past alarms.

if we store a vitrage alarm in aodh, what would the use case be for
querying it? the alarm occurred and vitrage has already sent a
notification warning. if i were to query aodh, what additional
information would i be retrieving?

it would seem much more useful to send that information to panko so you
can see that alarm event with other past events relating to the resource.

cheers,
--
gord