[openstack-dev] [neutron] PTL candidacy

Sukhdev Kapur sukhdevkapur at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:42:55 UTC 2017

Ihar and Kevin,

As our potential future PTLs, I would like to draw your attention to one of
the critical issue regarding Neutron as "the" networking service in
OpenStack.

I keep hearing off and on that Neutron is not flexible to address many
networking use cases and hence a new (or additional) networking project is
needed. For example, to address the use cases around NFV (rigid resource
inter-dependencies).  Another one keeps popping up is that it is very
hard/difficult to add/enhance Neutron API - hence, I picked this one goal
called out in Ihar's candidacy.

I would really like us to discuss this issue head-on and see what is
missing in Neutron APIs and what would take to make them extensible so that
vendors do not run around trying to figure out alternative solutions....

cheers..
-Sukhdev