[openstack-dev] [Heat] Breaking change to 3rd-party Template plugin API

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 21:25:33 UTC 2017

This email is directed at anyone who maintains a 3rd-party Template
plugin for Heat. (Do such people exist?)

Good news: you know how it's never been clear what parts of the Stack
and Resource interfaces you could rely on to be stable? I'm proposing to
fix that in Pike.

Bad news: you know how it's never been clear what parts of the Stack and
Resource interfaces you could rely on to be stable? If you relied on
stuff that wasn't used by the built-in HOT or Cfn plugins then you
probably guessed wrong and your plugin will break.

Details here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/424359/3/specs/pike/stack-definition.rst

Please comment on that review if there's anything additional you'd like
to see in the stable API. I'm happy to try to accommodate where that's
possible (and not crazy-inefficient).

cheers,
Zane.