[openstack-dev] [Neutron] PTL Candidacy

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 24 20:46:15 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-24 10:51:39 -0800 (-0800), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Kevin Benton <kevin at benton.pub> wrote:
> > I'm on board with getting visibility into the drivers with improvements to
> > driverlog, etc. What I'm uncertain of is providing much in the lines of
> > 'validation'. Core reviewers don't frequently have access to the hardware or
> > software required to validate these drivers so we can't be sure if the
> > features really are working as expected.
> >
> > If validation is as flexible as you highlighted in the email, we can at
> > least get it to a point where all recent CI runs are linkable from driverlog
> > and people can see recent tempest runs. I don't foresee the Neutron team
> > getting to a point soon where we vouch for certain drivers though just
> > because it is so hard to keep up with their changes (even ignoring changes
> > in the vendor hardware itself).
>
> Good point. We may guide plugins and drivers on how to set up CI; we
> may help Foundation to set up Marketplace in such a way that would
> allow to automatically consume test artifacts from driver owners; we
> may provide guidance to Foundation about which features are more
> important to reflect that in Marketplace; but I would hope we don't
> put the Neutron team on the hook to validate each driver, or even
> police CI owners to produce consumable results. (The stick in the
> latter case would be driver not showing up in Marketplace, or showing
> up with no feature support information.)

I guess the question I have is who, then, can tell our
operators/users what Neutron drivers are reasonably supported? It
sounds like you're saying Neutron developers are not well-placed to
determine that, which leaves us with these other options:

A. Have the OpenStack Foundation as maintainers of the Marketplace
   decide which Neutron drivers are usable (they don't really staff
   for this purpose so would be throwing darts I think)

B. Trust the driver authors to declare whether they're supported and
   what features they provide (maybe that works better than I
   expect?)

C. Identify another party with a vested interest in validating
   driver support (a board of operators from different organizations
   maybe?)

D. Provide links/aggregation of QA/CI and let the consumers attempt
   to divine supportability for themselves (seems a bit downstream
   hostile)

Are any of those options preferable?
--
Jeremy Stanley