[openstack-dev] [nova] Announcing my PTL candidacy for Pike

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:54:10 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

This is my self-nomination to continue running as Nova PTL for the Pike
cycle.

If elected, this would be a third term for me as Nova PTL. In Ocata I
thought that I did a better job of keeping on top of a broader set of
efforts than I was able to in Newton, including several non-priority
vendor-specific blueprints.

I have also tried to make regular communication a priority. The topics
vary, but in general I try to keep people informed about the release
schedule, upcoming deadlines, areas that need attention, and recaps of
smaller group discussions back to the wider team. We have a widely
distributed team and a lot of groups are impacted by decisions made
within Nova so it's important to continue with that communication.
Despite my best efforts I have also learned in Ocata that we need to get
earlier feedback on changes which impact deployment tooling, and make
documentation of such changes a high priority earlier in the development
of new features so that people working on tooling are not left in the dark.

Ocata has been a tough release, and I think we knew that was going to be
the case going in. It was a shorter cycle but still had some very
high-priority and high-visibility work items such as integrating the
placement service with the scheduler and further integrating support for
cells v2, along with making both of those required in a Nova deployment
for Ocata. We also had to deal with losing some key people and filling
those spots. But people have stepped up and we still made some
incredible progress in Ocata despite the difficulties.

For Pike I want to focus on the following:

* Continue integration of the placement service into making scheduling
decisions, including working with Neutron routed networks and work on
defining traits for resource providers so we can model the qualitative
aspects of resources in making placement decisions.

* Continue working on cells v2 for multi-cell support including
investigating the concept of auto-registration of compute nodes to
simplify deployment automation, and also focus on multi-cell testing and
Searchlight integration.

* Work on volume multi-attach support with the new Cinder v3 APIs
introduced in Ocata for creating and deleting volume attachments. I
think we are finally at a place where we can make some solid progress on
the Nova side with improved understanding between the Nova and Cinder teams.

* There are going to be several efforts going on across several projects
in the Pike release, including modeling capabilities in the REST API,
and Nova is going to have to be a part of those efforts. We also need to
get teams together to figure out what are the issues with hierarchical
quotas and what progress can be made there since that is a high priority
item that lots of operators have been requesting for a long time.

In general, we are going to have to improve our review throughput,
especially given the change in resources we experienced in Ocata. To me,
a lot of this will have to do with mentoring people that are newer to
Nova but are stepping into leadership positions, and having a shorter
feedback loop on "leveling up".

To summarize, I aim to be of service to those using and contributing to
Nova and want to continue doing that in the PTL role for the project in
the Pike release if you will have me for another round.

Thank you for your consideration,

Matt