[openstack-dev] [cinder] Can I use lvm thin provisioning in mitaka?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jan 23 16:21:17 UTC 2017

On 01/21/2017 03:00 AM, Marco Marino wrote:
> Really thank you!! It's difficult for me find help on cinder and I think this is
> the right place!
> @Duncan, if my goal is to speeding up bootable volume creation, I can avoid to
> use thin provisioning. I can use image cache and in this way the "retrieve from
> glance" and the "qemu-img convert to RAW" parts will be skipped. Is this
> correct? And whit this method I don't have a performancy penalty mentioned by Chris.
> @Chris: Yes, I'm using volume_clear option and volume deletion is very fast

Just to be clear, you should not use "volume_clear=none" unless you are using
thin provisioning or you do not care about security.

If you have "volume_clear=none" with thick LVM, then newly created cinder
volumes may contain data written to the disk via other cinder volumes that were
later deleted.

Chris