[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Mistral Workflow for deriving THT parameters

Saravanan KR skramaja at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 10:07:27 UTC 2017

Thanks John for the info.

I am going through the spec in detail. And before that, I had few
thoughts about how I wanted to approach this, which I have drafted in
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-derive-params. And it is not
100% ready yet, I was still working on it.

As of now, there are few differences on top of my mind, which I want
to highlight, I am still going through the specs in detail:
* Profiles vs Features - Considering a overcloud node as a profiles
rather than a node which can host these features, would have
limitations to it. For example, if i need a Compute node to host both
Ceph (OSD) and DPDK, then the node will have multiple profiles or we
have to create a profile like -
hci_enterprise_many_small_vms_with_dpdk? The first one is not
appropriate and the later is not scaleable, may be something else in
your mind?
* Independent - The initial plan of this was to be independent
execution, also can be added to deploy if needed.
* Not to expose/duplicate parameters which are straight forward, for
example tuned-profile name should be associated with feature
internally, Workflows will decide it.
* And another thing, which I couldn't get is, where will the workflow
actions be defined, in THT or tripleo_common?

The requirements which I thought of, for deriving workflow are:
Parameter Deriving workflow should be
* independent to run the workflow
* take basic parameters inputs, for easy deployment, keep very minimal
set of mandatory parameters, and rest as optional parameters
* read introspection data from Ironic DB and Swift-stored blob

I will add these comments as starting point on the spec. We will work
towards bringing down the differences, so that operators headache is
reduced to a greater extent.

Regards,
Saravanan KR