[openstack-dev] [tripleo][puppet] Preparations for Ocata release in RDO

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 12:50:37 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 7:30 AM, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso
<amoralej at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In RDO we are preparing for the incoming Ocata release. This means
> we'll create a new RDO Trunk builder "centos-ocata" in the next few
> days (It will be ready for next week). This builder will get content
> from stable/ocata branches of projects as they become available and
> fallback to master for those not branched yet. The repos created by
> this worker will be published under
> https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ (which will not longer be
> a link to https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/).
>
> According to the feedback received during the last release cycle, we
> are changing the way we do the transition this time so that
> repositories content will be more accurate to what is expected at any
> point in the cycle. Repos under centos-master will allways follow
> master branch and centos-ocata will get stable/ocata as soon as repos
> get the branch created.
>
> This has some implications from the upstream projects point of view:
>
> - Projects using repositories under
> https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ will start getting
> packages for content delivered in stable/ocata branches instead of
> master. Repos in https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/ will
> keep getting packages for content in master branch.

Excellent news.

> - Anyone currently pinning to a specific hash repo under
> https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-ocata/ should move it to use
> https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master/ as soon as possible. Note
> that pinning to a specific hash is not recommended practice.

ack

> - With current job definitions, link current-tripleo promoted by
> upstream TripleoCI will promote repos with content from master
> branches and not stable/ocata after creating the ocata builder. We
> think this is not the desired situation during RC period and we must
> keep promotion of current-tripleo link for stable/ocata until
> cycle-trailing projects are tagged. This will require some changes in
> both Tripleo-CI and RDO-CI, please let us know your thoughs so that we
> can agree on the best way to implement this and start working on it.

I agree we need to move promotion job to stable/ocata until TripleO
release and then come back to master.
I'm wondering if it would be useful to create a new periodic job that
would run TripleO on master.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but the reason is during our trailing period,
things can (and probably will) break upstream and we might want to
keep aware of it. If we're not, I'm afraid we'll have to deal with a
huge list of blocker after our release when we'll come back on master.

Thanks,

> Best regards,
>
> Alfredo

Emilien Macchi