[openstack-dev] [containers][magnum] Magnum team at Summit?

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 18 19:08:15 UTC 2017

On Jan 18, 2017, at 10:48 AM, Mark Baker <mark.baker at canonical.com<mailto:mark.baker at canonical.com>> wrote:

Hi Adrian,

Let me know if you have similar questions or concerns about Ubuntu Core with Magnum.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Is there any chance you, or an Ubuntu Core representative could join us for a discussion at the PTG, and/or an upcoming IRC team meeting? The topic of supported operating system images for our cluster drivers is a current topic of team conversation, and it would be helpful to have clarity on what (support/dev/test) resources upstream Linux packagers may be able to offer to help guide our conversation.

To give you a sense, we do have a Suse specific k8s driver that has been maturing during the Ocata release cycle, our Mesos driver uses Ubuntu Server, our Swarm and k8s drivers use Fedora Atomic, and another newer k8s driver uses Fedora. The topic of Operating System (OS) support for cluster nodes (versus what OS containers are based on) is confusing for many cloud operators, so it would be helpful we worked on clarifying the options, and involve stakeholders from various OS distributions so that suitable options are available for those who prefer to form Magnum clusters from OS images composed from one particular OS or another.

Ideally we could have this discussion at the PTG in Atlanta with participants like our core reviewers, Josh Berkus, you, our Suse contributors, and any other representatives from OS distribution organizations who may have an interest in cluster drivers for their respective OS types. If that discussion proves productive, we could also engage our wider contributor base in a followup IRC team meeting with a dedicated agenda item to cover what’s possible, and summarize what various stakeholders provided to us as input at the PTG. This might give us a chance to source further input from a wider audience than our PTG attendees.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Adrian

On 18 Jan 2017 8:36 p.m., "Adrian Otto" <adrian.otto at rackspace.com<mailto:adrian.otto at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Josh,

> On Jan 18, 2017, at 10:18 AM, Josh Berkus <jberkus at redhat.com<mailto:jberkus at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> Magnum Devs:
>
> Is there going to be a magnum team meeting around OpenStack Summit in
> Boston?
>
> I'm the community manager for Atomic Host, so if you're going to have
> Magnum meetings, I'd like to send you some Atomic engineers to field any
> questions/issues at the Summit.

Thanks for your question. We are planning to have our team design meetings at the upcoming PTG event in Atlanta. We are not currently planning to have any such meetings in Boston. With that said, we would very much like to involve you in an important Atomic related design decision that has recently surfaced, and would like to welcome you to an upcoming Magnum IRC team meeting to meet you and explain our interests and concerns. I do expect to attend the Boston summit myself, so I’m willing to meet you and your engineers on behalf of our team if you are unable to attend the PTG. I’ll reach out to you individually by email to explore our options for an Atomic Host meeting agenda item in the mean time.

Regards,

Adrian