[openstack-dev] [nova] Different length limit for tags in object definition and db model definition

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 17 11:08:55 UTC 2017

On 1/17/2017 3:31 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Changing the type of column from VARCHAR(80) to VARCHAR(60) would also
> require a data migration (i.e. a schema migration to add a new column
> with the "correct" type, changes to the object, data migration logic)
> as it is not an "online" DDL operation according to [1].  Adding a new
> API microversion seems to be easier.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman

Yeah if we're going to do anything we should do the microversion bump
since the DB change requires an offline schema migration which we don't
want to do.

I didn't think about the interoperability issue with the change so I
agree it will require a microversion.

As for the timing, we're two weeks from feature freeze and all API
changes require a spec according to our policy [1]. We also have a lot
of unmerged blueprints yet to get reviewed [2] and frankly our review
numbers are already down this release. So if this can be held until Pike
I'd prefer that so it's not a distraction in Ocata.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/blueprints.html#specs
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/ocata

Matt Riedemann