[openstack-dev] [all] [barbican] [security] Why are projects trying to avoid Barbican, still?

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 17 03:48:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:21:02PM +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> IMO, This is why the big tent has been so damaging to OpenStack's progress. Instead of lifting the commons up, by requiring dependencies on other projects, there by making them commonly deployed and high quality, post big tent, each project reimplements just enough to get away with making something optional, and then the commons, and OpenStack as a whole suffers. This behavior MUST STOP if OpenStack is to make progress again. Other projects, such as Kubernetes are making tremendous progress because they are not hamstrung by one component trying desperately not to depend on another when the dependency is appropriate. They enhance the existing component until its suitable and the whole project benefits. Yes, as an isolated dev, the behavior to make deps optional seems to make sense. But as a whole, OpenStack is suffering and will become increasingly irrelevant moving forward if the current path is continued. Please, please reconsider what the current stance on dependencies is d
>  oing to the community. This problem is not just isolated to barbican, but lots of other projects as well. We can either help pull each other up, or we can step on each other to try and get "on top". I'd rather we help each other rather then the destructive path we seem to be on.
>
> My 2 cents.
> Kevin

Very well said, Kevin. The problem is not just about Barbican. Time for
the TC and the whole community to rethink or even just to realize
where we are heading ... Time for each and every projects to do some
introspection ... Time to solve this chicken-and-egg problem.

Stick together, there seems still a chance for future; otherwise, we
will feel guilty wasting people's life building something that is
falling apart eventually. Should we kill all "sh**-as-a-service"
projects and focus on the few "core" services and hope they will meet
all users' requirements? Or, should we give every project an equal
chance to be adopted? Who is blocking other services to get adopted?
How many projects are listed on the project navigator?

- Qiming