[openstack-dev] [nova] Different length limit for tags in object definition and db model definition

Zhenyu Zheng zhengzhenyulixi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:12:33 UTC 2017

Hi Nova,

I just discovered something interesting, the tag has a limited length, and
in the current implementation, it is 60 in the tag object definition:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/objects/tag.py#n18

but 80 in the db model:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/db/sqlalchemy/models.py#n1464

As asked in the IRC and some of the cores responded(thanks to Matt and
Jay), it seems to be an
oversight and has no particular reason to do it this way.

Since we have already created a 80 long space in DB and the current
implementation might be confusing,  maybe we should expand the limitation
in tag object definition to 80. Besides, users can enjoy longer tags.

And the question could be, does anyone know why it is 60 in object but 80
in DB model? is it an oversight or we have some particular reason?

If we could expand it to be the same as DB model (80 for both), it is ok to
do this tiny change without microversion?

Thanks,

Kevin Zheng