[openstack-dev] [all] [barbican] [security] Why are projects trying to avoid Barbican, still?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Jan 16 15:09:50 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Ian Cordasco wrote:

> I really want to understand why so many projects feel the need to
> implement their own secrets storage. This seems a bit short-sighted
> and foolish. While these projects are making themselves easier to
> deploy, if not done properly they are potentially endangering their
> users and that seems like a bigger problem than deploying Barbican to
> me.

What I've heard in the past is that no one wants to rely on
something that they cannot guarantee will be present in a
deployment. The debate surrounding what ought to be guaranteed in a
deployment is part of what inspired the notion of a "base services"
which is a topic up for proposal in the architecture working group:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/419397/

(In other words: yeah, important topic.)
--
Chris Dent                 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯           https://anticdent.org/