[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 8

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jan 14 16:06:41 UTC 2017

On 1/13/2017 11:15 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> Hi, more resource providers and placement information for your reading
> pleasure. Things continue to move along, with plenty of stuff to
> review and a new bug that someone could work on.
>
> # What Matters Most
>
> The main priority remains the same: Getting the scheduler using a
> filtered list of resource providers. That work is in progress near
> here:
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/392569/

^ is merged now. \o/

> # Stuff that's Different Now
>
> Discussion about the upgrade process from newton (where placement is
> optional) to ocata (where we _really_ want it to be required) has led
> the placement client in the resource tracker (and eventually the
> scheduler) to change from trying the placement API and not retrying on
> failure to retrying with a log warning:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/418590/

^ was also backported and merged in stable/newton.

In other stable/newton + placement news, I'm working on backporting a
series of fixes to stable/newton to eventually fix the issue with Ironic
reporting 0 inventory to placement which breaks Ironic when placement is
enabled (because it blows up the resource tracker on the compute). That
series is working itself out here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:stable/newton+topic:bug/1651678

> The aggregates api will now return the uuid of an aggreate in the JSON
> representation.
>
> # Stuff Needing a Plan
>
> # can_host, aggregates in filtering
>
> See:
>

> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/109971.html
>
> in which I go an at some length on this topic in response to last
> week's update, but no one has yet confirmed or denied the concerns.

If Jay is around next week we should jump on a hangout and discuss the
details of this, but I think he might be on vacation? If he is, we
should also try with Dan Smith who is I think around on Monday but then
on vacation the rest of next week (and I'm out the week of the 23rd).

> # Pending Planned Work
>
> ## Dev Documentation
>
> Work has started on documentation for developers of the placement API.
> It is under review starting at
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411946/
>
> ## Handling Aggregates in Placement Server and Clients
>
> Resource tracker handling of aggregates is the last big piece for
> aggregate handling:
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/407309/
>
> The server side change has merged, after some stumbling over the
> proper handling of mircoversions: there was a non-microversioned code on
> master that enabled the `member_of` feature to exist, but
> not actually work.
>
> The link to the archive above is about the when of arggegate handling
> for the scheduler.
>
> ## Resource Tracker Cleanup and Use of Resource Classes For Ironic
>
> The cleanup to the resource tracker so that it can be more effective
> and efficient and work correctly with Ironic continues in the
> custom-resource-classes topic:
>

> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/custom-resource-classes
>

> # Stuff Happening Outside of Nova
>
> * Neutron IPV4 Inventory
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/358658/
>
> * Continued puppet/tripleo work with placement
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/406309/
>
> # Bugs, Pick up Work, and Miscellaneous
>
> * Allocation bad input handling and dead code fixing
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/419137/
>
>   This has turned out to be a goldmine for finding bugs. In addition
>   to fixing how allocations are created and removing dead code, it
>   also exposed that resource provider objects were not having their
>   generation being updated in the right places at the right times and
>   a bug in gabbi related to exposing failures in fixtures.

I struck some gold of my own last night:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/420272/