[openstack-dev] Draft logos

Heidi Joy Tretheway heidijoy at openstack.org
Fri Jan 13 21:53:06 UTC 2017

Following up on a Glance ML question, but this applies to all:
Hi Brian & developers -

Thanks for the note! We’ve been working on the illustrators on another round of revisions, which we expect to see within a week or so. We received 132 individual responses from devs on the first round team mascot drafts, and we so appreciate the feedback! I’ll also be sending personal notes back to everyone who requested them on the feedback form, detailing the changes we made.

Glance is getting a makeover since we heard loud and clear from your team (and six other teams) that our illustration team missed the mark on the key creature features. Seven other team logos are still in draft stage because the teams switched mascots or we didn’t approve the illustrators’ first efforts. We’ll share a new draft with these teams as soon as we get them back from the illustrators.

On the positive side, 25 mascots are approved (based on project team feedback being generally positive) and moving forward to the final round of tweaks (color and linework corrections, to ensure consistency across logos), and another 13 have just small revisions requested, such as a change in color or the animal’s expression.

We also got quite a few comments from folks about the heavy line weight, geometric style, and bold color choices (some folks loved it, some didn't), and so we’re balancing that feedback against the need to ensure all logos are presented in a similar style—that style won’t be changing from project to project. For example, the heavy line weight helps us create bold marks even when the logo is shrunk to a postage stamp size, such as on a PPT slide.

Our plan is to print stickers for the teams attending the PTG (and they’ll be available for all teams in Boston), as well as having digital logo files to share with you in advance of the PTG so that you can use them at will.

Please feel free to reach out to me with more questions!