[openstack-dev] [cinder] Cinder replication for multisite openstack clouds

Jay S. Bryant jsbryant at electronicjungle.net
Fri Jan 13 20:59:33 UTC 2017

Kemo,

The next phase of development for replication is to enable replication
of groups of volumes [1].

I remember, in the past, there being discussion around how we handle
replication across multiple data centers and don't know that we came to
a conclusion.  I think we would need to better understand the use case
here?  Are you picturing two data centers that have all their data
replicated between the two locations. You want to then be able to have a
Cinder access those volumes concurrently in both locations?
Theoretically that could be possible with a shared database between the
two datacenters.  I am not aware of anyone actually operating with such
a configuration.

Jay

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/replication-cg