[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 13 18:47:39 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2017-01-12 22:38:46 -0800:
> Kevin Benton wrote:
> > If you don't want users to specify network details, then use the get me
> > a network extension or just have them boot to a public (or other
> > pre-created) network.
> >
> > In your thought experiment, why is your iPhone app developer not just
> > using a PaaS that handles instance scaling, load balancing and HA? Why
> > would he/she want to spend time managing security updates and log
> > rotation for an operating system running inside another program
> > pretending to be hardware? Different levels of abstraction solve
> > different use cases.
>
> Fair point, probably mr/mrs iPhone app developer should be doing that.

I totally disagree. If PaaS was the answer, they'd all be using PaaS.

Maybe some day, but that's no excuse for having an overly complex story
for the base. I totally appreciate that "Get me a network" is an effort
to address this. But after reading docs on it, I actually have no idea
how it works or how to make use of it (I do have a decent understanding
of how to setup a default subnetpool as an operator).