[openstack-dev] [kolla] kolla-build building images that are known not to work for a given base/type

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 16:26:17 UTC 2017

Hi openstack-dev,

I have a simple question: why are there no mechanisms to prevent
kolla-build from building images that are known not to work for a
given base/type ?
In the Kolla CI gate, we build everything -- and then, if there are
errors, we match them against a list of images that are known to fail
[1].

This feels backwards, why even build things that are known to fail in
the first place ?

For example, if I do "kolla-build -b centos -t binary", it should not
even attempt to build "bifrost-base" because there's no support for
that distro/type combination.
As an end user and not a CI system using tox, I don't know what is
supported and what isn't.

Are those reasonable expectations ? How hard would it be to implement this ?

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/master/tests/test_build.py#L47-L85

David Moreau Simard

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]