[openstack-dev] Consistent Versioned Endpoints

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:00:10 UTC 2017

On 1/13/17 7:42 AM, Steve Martinelli wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>
>> On 01/12/2017 01:35 PM, Scott D'Angelo wrote:
>>> TL;DR: Let's discuss Version Discovery and Endpoints in the Service
>>> Catalog at the PTG in Atlanta.
>>>
>>> The topic of Versioning and the Endpoints discovered in the Service
>>> Catalog was discussed in today's API Working Group Meeting[1].
>>> A previous ML post[2] claimed:
>>>
>>> In a perfect world, every endpoint would return the same type of
>> resource -
>>> most likely the versions resource as described in the API WG
>> Microversions
>>> spec. It would also be nice if version negotiation can happen without
>>> requiring authentication, the easiest path to which would be supporting
>> the
>>> 'max_version' and 'min_version' fields in the root versions resource.
>>>
>>> One problem is multiple versioned service names in the catalog for a
>>> given service[3], as opposed to a single endpoint that would return
>>> version info[4].
>>>
>>> Can we get to this "perfect world"? Let's discuss at the PTG.....
>>> It is my understanding that we do not have the ability to schedule a
>>> time or room for such a cross-project discussion. Please chime in if
>>> interested, and/or make your interest known to scottda, mordred, or
>> edleafe.
>>
>> Happy to join in on this, it does seem weird there is no time / space
>> for such things at PTG.
>>
>> We actually had a rough sketch of a plan last year here which would go a
>> slightly different direction, and get that all up into the service
>> catalog. That also ensures consistent schema enforcement, as it would
>> all be through keystone.
>>
>> Definitely need keystone folks in the room to be able to make forward
>> progress here I think, because part of the tension in the past has been
>> understanding domain boundaries, and it would be a shame to do a ton of
>> work in all the projects that could be easily done in one project, just
>> because of communication gaps.
>>

> If theres a room I'll be there, and try to rope in other folks too.

This is possibly the worst suggestion of all time, but I've told the
Glance team that we'll finish up by 11:30 a.m. on Friday, which will
free up the Glance room for Friday afternoon.  If other teams are taking
a similar strategy, there wouldn't be too much conflict, and maybe we
can hold a few sessions like this, which are important but seem to have
slipped through the cracks, on Friday afternoon?