[openstack-dev] [neutron] Confusion around the complexity

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Fri Jan 13 04:55:59 UTC 2017

Sean M. Collins wrote:
> Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> So I don't want to start to much of a flame-war and am really just trying to
>> understand things that may be beyond me (so treat me nicely, ha).
>>
>> The basic question that I've been wondering revolves around the following
>> kind of 'thought experiment' that asks something along the lines of:
>>
>> """
>> If I am a user of openstack, say I'm an iphone developer, trying to get my
>> 'game' and associated 'game APIs' setup in a manner that is HA (say fronted
>> by a load-balancer), using my custom image, secure and visible to either an
>> intranet or to the large internet then what is the steps I would have to do
>> when interacting with openstack to accomplish this and what would the
>> provider of openstack have to give to me as endpoints to make this possible.
>> """
>

> We have a guide that sort of fits this usecase:
>
> http://developer.openstack.org/firstapp-libcloud/
>
> The networking section, can always use improvement:
>
> http://developer.openstack.org/firstapp-libcloud/networking.html

Interesting good to know that this exists; though I still have this
weird gut feeling that the following isn't really what people want to be
doing (though they may have to just because that is what it is):

$ openstack network list
$ openstack network create worker_network
$ openstack network create webserver_network
$ openstack subnet create webserver_subnet --network webserver_network
--subnet-range 10.0.2.0/24
$ openstack network create api_network
$ openstack subnet create api_subnet --network api_network
--subnet-range 10.0.3.0/24
$ openstack floating ip create public (1st floating IP)
$ openstack floating ip create public (2nd floating IP)
$ openstack router create project_router
$ openstack router set project_router --external-gateway public
$ openstack router add subnet project_router worker_subnet
$ openstack router add subnet project_router api_subnet
$ openstack router add subnet project_router webserver_subnet

And then:

$ nova boot --flavor m1.tiny --image cirros-0.3.3-x86_64-disk --nic
net-id=953224c6-c510-45c5-8a29-37deffd3d78e worker1

ANNND then:

$ openstack network list
$ nova boot --flavor 1 --image 53ff0943-99ba-42d2-a10d-f66656372f87
--min-count 2 test
$ openstack floating ip create public --fixed-ip-address 10.0.0.2 --port
523331cf-5636-4298-a14c-f545bb32abcf
$ openstack floating ip create public --fixed-ip-address 10.0.2.4 --port
462c92c6-941c-48ab-8cca-3c7a7308f580
$ neutron lb-member-create --address 203.0.113.21 --protocol-port 80 mypool
$ neutron lb-member-create --address 203.0.113.22 --protocol-port 80 mypool

ANDDDD then:

........... (how many more are there, woah)