[openstack-dev] [neutron] Is anybody using the "next_hop" field in FIP association update notifications?

Tidwell, Ryan ryan.tidwell at hpe.com
Thu Jan 12 23:23:35 UTC 2017

Hi all,

In reviewing the change [1], the question arose as to whether any project other than neutron-dynamic-routing has been using the "next_hop" field included in a callback notification emitted when FIP association is updated [2]. The question as to whether to deprecate or simply remove this field has arisen due to the history of inclusion of this field in the notification. It was initially included to support BGP dynamic routing in Mitaka when it was in-tree. However, due to the bug [3] neutron-dynamic-routing no longer requires this field be included in the notification and its inclusion now seems to have little value, and this value shouldn't really be identified by code inside the neutron repo anyway. I wanted to poke the mailing list to give folks a chance to take a look and make sure they aren't relying on this. >From what I can tell there are no uses of this inside the neutron repo, nor are there any other consumers inside the stadium.  For maintainers of stadium projects, could you please confirm or debunk my analysis of the situation?

-Ryan Tidwell

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357722
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357722/5/neutron/db/l3_db.py@a1182
[3] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1615919