[openstack-dev] [tripleo][diskimage-builder] Status of diskimage-builder

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 18:55:01 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> With the containerization[1] of tripleo, I'd like to know more about the future of
> diskimage-builder as it relates to the tripleo project.
>
> Reading the recently approved spec for containers, container (image) builds are
> no longer under the control of tripleo; by kolla. Where does this leave
> diskimage-builder as a project under tripleo?  I specifically ask, because I'm
> wanting to start down the path of using diskimage-builder as an interface to
> containers.
>
> Basically, is it time to move diskimage-builder out from the tripleo project
> into another, or its own? Or is tripleo wanting to more forward on development
> efforts on diskimage-builder.

Looking at stats on who is actively contributing into DIB:
http://stackalytics.com/?module=diskimage-builder

It seems that we have some folks from infra and some folks on dib
only, and a few contributors from TripleO.

I guess the best option is to ask DIB contributors: do you want to own
the project you're committing to?
If not, is it something that should stay in TripleO (imo no) or move
into openstack-infra (imo yes, if infra agrees).

With my PTL hat, I'm really open to this thing and I wouldn't mind to
transfer ownership to another group.

Thanks,

> [1] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/tripleo-specs/specs/ocata/containerize-tripleo-overcloud.html

Emilien Macchi