[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 12 17:36:02 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

Exciting meeting today, lots of people, lots of discussion[0]. We started out talking about the service-types-authority[4] and whether the api-wg should be more directly involved in it. Since there's a fair bit of overlap between participants in both groups, we decided that while it is very important for the api-wg to help ensure good use and form of the service catalog (and guidelines should be created stating as much) there was no particular need to do anything more than be present and aware. However this did lead to talk about wanting consistent unversioned endpoints in the service catalog. scottda was volunteered to follow up on getting some discussion about this happening at the PTG (with moral support from edleafe, mordred, and dtroyer).

We then talked about the ongoing issues with the visibility changes in glance. There's consensus that the changes (in glance and tempest) are necessary.

Finally we talked about some guidelines, notably ongoing interest in the capabilities review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/ and what the api-wg's role should be in reviewing and discussing it. If you're curious about this it's probably easiest to have a look at the IRC log as there's no simple summary: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_wg/2017/api_wg.2017-01-12-16.00.log.html#l-202

Lots of other guidelines in progress and awaiting your feedback if you have time to give it (see below).

# Newly Published Guidelines

Nothing new

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None at the moment, but you are always very welcome to review stuff in the next section.

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Add guidelines on usage of state vs. status
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411528/

* Add guidelines for boolean names
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411529/

* Clarify the status values in versions
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411849/

* Define pagination guidelines
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/390973/

* Add API capabilities discovery guideline
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/

* Add guideline for invalid query parameters
   https://review.openstack.org/417441

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!